24 January 2020
The past 12 months have been a busy period for Today’s Plan as we continued refining our product to deliver improved functionality and experience for all users. In the past 12 months we have implemented over 25 individual feature updates to the platform, many of which you may not be aware of as they were released incrementally as part of our regular site updates. In this article we take a look back at the top 6 new features for the past 12 months.
Workout scheduling flexibility
This site update gave users more options when making adjustments to their scheduled training or moving uploaded files. This included the ability to move uploaded files or scheduled workouts to any other date with just two mouse clicks and increased options when copying entire weeks of scheduled training.
Uploaded files, completed activities or scheduled workouts could be moved to a new day on the calendar without using the drag and drop method. This is done by double clicking on the 4 way arrow “move” icon in the bottom right of an activity and then selecting a new date. For scheduled workouts you have an option to move or copy the workout to the new date.
The update also allows users to not only copy weeks into the future but also back on the calendar.
For more information on that update please see this blog post.
Garmin Connect direct workout sync
This update was made possible when Garmin released a Training API that allowed Today’s Plan to share scheduled workouts directly to your Garmin Connect calendar and sync onto your Garmin device. Benefits to Today’s Plan users included:
- Sync your Garmin device to the Garmin Connect mobile app and your workouts will appear each day automatically!
- There are now less steps when syncing your workouts compared to using the Today’s Plan IQ App or Shifter.
- You can now choose which interval targets (power, pace, heart rate) are exported for each sport type all from your Today’s Plan account settings.
- Supports older Garmin devices that previously weren’t compatible with the IQ App.
- Any updates to your future workouts in your Today’s Plan calendar are automatically synced across.
If you are a Garmin user and you like to follow scheduled workouts on your device we strongly advise you check out this blog post and get started using the direct sync!
Sport type highlights
This update appears relatively simple but made a big difference particularly to our multisport athletes who deal with multiple sport types on the calendar. This included an icon and colour-coding system to better differentiate between activities of different sport types.
This was not only included on the Calendar, but also on the Dashboard, Workout Library and Files section of the platform.
A big win for coaches came in April 2019 when we released an update which allowed coaches to set priorities for scheduled workouts. This carried across to our mobile app and allowed athletes to easily see the importance of each workout in the week. The available priorities are:
- Critical: “This is a critical activity and should not be missed”
- Routine: “This is a routine activity. It is not absolutely essential to complete, but recommended”
- Optional: “This is an optional activity. If you need to skip an activity this is the one to miss”
Out of the many improvements to the mobile app, a few stand out. The first being the inclusion of activity graphs for better analysis of data without needing to go onto the desktop website.
We included notifications in the mobile app. Athlete’s started to receive notifications when a file was uploaded to their account (both manually and automatically if being pulled from a third party), when they receive an inbox message from their coach (if applicable) and when a comment is left on an activity. Examples of the notifications are shown below.
The activity summary page which you are taken to when viewing an activity also got updated to have a cleaner appearance, as shown below.
Finally, another big improvement for our coaches was the ability to inject customised dashboards onto their athletes accounts. This allows coaches to curate exactly what data is at their athletes fingertips on the Dashboard to enhance athlete engagement. For more information on injecting dashboards as a coach please see this article.
Here is a list of other popular features that were added:
- Injectable Dashboards for coaches
- Workout scheduling improvements
- Printable Dashboard reports
- Garmin Connect direct workout sync
- Sport type highlights
- Workout priorities
- Analysis graphs on Mobile app
- Support for Garmin MTB metrics
- Support for Runscribe metrics
- Updated Performance Index visuals
- Updated inbox visuals
- Automatic T-score calculation for distance based run/swim workouts
- Support for rowing analytics
- Support use of emojis
- Support for Japanese text characters
- Updated visuals to the Weekly Summary email
- Auto pre-fill of coaches email address in sign up email